Authentic Spaghetti Bolognese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 80g finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 60g finely chopped celery
- 30g butter
- 450g lean minced beef
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 175g chopped mushrooms
- 175g tomato puree
- 600ml beef stock
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 450g spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Prep:45min › Cook:2hr › Extra time:2hr45min › Ready in:5hr30min
- In a large frying pan, warm olive oil over low heat; saute onion, garlic and celery until onion is transparent.
- Stir in butter and increase heat to medium; brown beef until no longer pink. Mix in sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, mint and mushrooms; lower heat and stir for about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato puree and beef stock; pour liquid and basil to pan. Simmer over very low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of water to a vigorous boil with 3 tablespoons salt and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Slip spaghetti into water holding on to ends until strands soften a bit. Cook over high heat for 7 to 8 minutes only. When properly cooked, raw taste should be gone but still have a firm texture.
- When ready to serve, combine pasta with meat sauce; serve on a warmed plate or bowl topped with parsley and Pecorino Romano cheese.
Delicious - 21 Jun 2012
I have tried many different recipes for spag bol and this is my least favourite. I just didn't enjoy the flavours at all. I will stick to my own receipe in future. - 04 Jan 2013