Chocolate beetroot cake
- 250g well-drained, cooked beetroots, pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300g caster sugar
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Prep:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour one 20x30cm (9x13 in) or similar sized baking tin.
- In a large bowl, combine pureed beetroots, eggs, vanilla, oil and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa. Add to the creamed mixture, beating together well. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done. Cool and frost with your favourite icing.
This cake is absolutely stunning. I will make this anytime I need a choc cake or cupcakes. So unbelievably moist! Absolutely no hint of beetroot. I pureed the beetroot in the blender along with the eggs and oil - the result was intensely pink, smooth and creamy. I then poured that out into a bowl and followed the recipe as stated from there. I pretty much followed the recipe to the letter, except I used olive oil instead of reg veg oil, and the result was fabulous. I made cupcakes and baked at the stated temp for about 18 minutes. Thanks! A gorgeous recipe! **Update** I made these a second time for my husband's birthday, and two different people told me they were the best chocolate cupcakes they had ever had! - 04 Mar 2011
I made this as cupcakes and they are delicious! I didn't have the werewithal to puree the beetroot so I just finely grated it, which worked just as well. Possibly a smidge too sweet, but amazingly moist (and I'm one who often has problems making moist cakes!) - 21 Aug 2011
I made these into cupcakes with a simple chocolate butter icing on top. They were lovely, so moist and light. Went down very well with hubby's work colleagues!! - 27 Feb 2012