1 / 1 Picture by: nsissa
Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Serves: 8 - 10
- 80g pecan halves
- 60g porridge oats
- 70g wholemeal flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 250ml soya milk
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 425g pumpkin puree
- 125ml pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:3hr chilling › Ready in:4hr30min
- Set rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Lightly oil a 23cm quiche dish. Set aside.
- Spread nuts over a baking tin. Toast for 7 to 10 minutes or until the smell of nuts fills the kitchen. Set aside 16 pecan halves for garnish.
- Combine oats, flour, remaining pecans, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt into a food processor. Pulse until mixture becomes coarsely ground. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Whisk together oil and 3 tablespoons maple syrup and mix into dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Press mixture into prepared quiche dish. Crimp edges. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Blend soya milk and arrowroot in the food processor until the arrowroot is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth, about 15 seconds. Add pumpkin, maple syrup, ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and cloves; process until thoroughly blended. Pour filling into baked base and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the base is lightly browned and the outside 2.5cm of the filling is set. Don't worry if the centre is still soft; it firms up as the pie cools. Transfer pie to a wire the rack. Gently press toasted pecan halves into hot filling in 2 concentric circles. Cool to room temperature and then chill until set, about 3 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!