Spicy parsnip soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 750ml boiling water
- 1 stock cube
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 100ml double cream
- Salt and pepper
- Dried chilli pepper flakes or paprika to garnish
Prep:10min › Cook:25min › Ready in:35min
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Fry the onion in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the parsnips, garlic and curry powder, and fry for a couple of minutes to release the flavours.
- Boil the water in the kettle and mix with stock cube in a separate jug. Add to pan and stir well.
- Simmer for 15 mins until parsnips are soft and easy to break with a wooden spoon.
- Take off the heat and blend with hand mixer or food processor.
- Stir in the cream and warm through.
- Season to taste and garnish with the chilli flakes or paprika.
Made it healthier. I used olive oil instead of butter, and instead of cream I added about 60g of soft goat's cheese. This lent just the right amount of creaminess without compromising on flavour, and saved loads on fat and calories! - 19 Feb 2010
Delicious soup, so easy to make, and even better to eat. I followed the recipe exactly, and have to say is probably the best soup I have ever made. I will definately be making this again, and will make it for guests without worrying it could go wrong. 5 Stars !!!! - 22 Sep 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. only used half an onion and did not add cream really tasty soup will make again in larger quantities - 17 Feb 2011