- In a bowl, mix together the marinade ingredients - sugar, salt, soy sauce and cornflour slurry. Add the minced pork and stir in one direction.
- Heat a large frying pan with 1 teaspoon oil over high heat. Fry the shrimp until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Add to the bowl of minced pork. Stir in the same direction, until a paste is formed. Set aside.
- Cut the bitter melon into thick rings. Remove the core. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 5 minutes. Cook the bitter melon in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Stuff each slice of bitter melon with the pork mixture, then sprinkle evenly with cornflour.
- Heat a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and fry the bitter melons until both sides turn brown, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar and 125ml water to form the sauce. Set aside.
- Heat the same frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Stir-fry the garlic, pepper and black bean sauce until fragrant, around 3-4 minutes. Add the sauce, stir until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the bitter melons and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the cornflour mixture and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve hot.
- Stuff the bitter melon as much as possible. as the meat will shrink when it's cooked.
- Add some water when stir-frying the pork. This will give the pork a fluffier texture.
Bitter melons, dried shrimp and black bean and garlic sauce may be purchased in Indian/South Asian/Oriental speciality stores.
See it on my blog
Check out this recipe on my blog