1 / 1 Picture by: Allrecipes
German Brötchen Rolls
- 2 tablespoons dried active baking yeast
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 600ml (1 pint) warm water (45 C)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 dessertspoon salt
- 900g (2 lb) plain flour
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 egg white (for egg wash)
- 2 tablespoons cold semi-skimmed milk
Prep:40min › Cook:20min › Ready in:1hr
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let sit until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in butter, salt and 1/3 of the flour. Beat with dough whisk or heavy spoon for 2 minutes. Fold in egg whites. Gradually add flour a little at a time, until dough forms a mass and begins to pull away from bowl.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead, adding more flour as necessary, for 8 to 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic with bubbles.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Deflate the dough, form into a round and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas mark 7. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and form into oval rolls about 9cm (3 1/2 in) long. Place on lightly greased baking trays, cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Place an empty baking tray on the bottom shelf of the oven. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg white with the 2 tablespoons of milk to make the egg wash. Lightly brush the risen rolls with the egg wash. Place a cupful of ice cubes on the hot baking tray in the oven and immediately place the rolls in the oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and cool.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!