German Honey Cake
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 225m (8 fl oz) hot water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 225g (8 oz) honey
- 375g (13 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dessertspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Prep:30min › Cook:35min › Ready in:1hr5min
- Mix coffee in hot water, and then cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the yolks with the sugar until creamy. Add the oil and then the honey, beating after each addition. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Sift the flour. Combine with salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices. Add these dry ingredients alternately with the coffee to the honey mixture, stirring only until blended. Do not overmix.
- Whip egg whites until stiff. Fold in three additions into the batter. Pour into 2 greased 20cm (8 in) square pans.
- Bake at 160 C / Gas mark 3 for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.
Used different ingredients. This recipe is great! Moist and a little bit tart. I added 4 tbsp porridge oats to the topping...that worked well. - 18 Jul 2008
I made this as a birthday cake for my friend becuase she likes both coffee and honey and she loved it. It was very moist and I sprinkled some icing sugar on it the night before and it was absorbed to make it slightly more sweet and sticky. - 11 Jun 2009
Good old fashioned comfort pud. Moist and delicious with a pretty, pebbly top. Mine was done at 38 minutes! - 18 Jul 2008