Easy Red Lentil Dal
- 200g red lentils
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small, dried red chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (400ml) tin coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
Prep:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Wash lentils several times in a bowl with cold water. Pour into a sieve and drain.
- Heat 1/2 of the oil in a medium saucepan. Sauté the onion until translucent. Cut the chilli in half and remove the seeds (unless you want the dal spicy). Add to the onion. Put lentils, turmeric and 750ml water into the pan and stir. Bring to the boil, then reduce the temperature and simmer for 30 minutes over a low heat until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds and heat until they begin to pop. Reduce the heat and add shallots and bay leaves. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Skim most of the cream off the coconut milk and add just the watery milk to the lentils. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Stir in the shallot mixture and remove the chili peppers. Season with salt and serve while still hot over rice.
Altered ingredient amounts. This is a nice simple recipe , used powdered coconut milk and would reduce by half next time as too soupy for my liking. Thanks - 15 Nov 2010