Sweet and sour sauce
- 2 dessertspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 120ml tomato ketchup
- 180ml cold water
- 1 dessertspoon white wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1 dessertspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 dessertspoon cornflour, mixed with a little water til dissolved
Prep:5min › Cook:5min › Ready in:10min
- Heat oil in a saucepan add the garlic and chilli powder and cook until garlic is browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan excluding the cornflour. The sugar and salt should be added slowly - taste the sauce to check the balance of sweet and sour and add more or less sugar and salt accordingly.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the cornflour mixed with a little water to thicken the sauce.
- Chilli may be left out if you don't like your sauce with a bit of kick.
Best served in a dipping bowl. It's nice served with chicken in batter or tempura prawns. Alternatively can be served with tempura vegetables for the vegan option.
Quick and easy to prepare, and was tasty mixed in with a stir-fry. Will make again - 22 Mar 2012
Tasty and easy. Just added more ketchup and sugar but I guess that's how I like it! - 01 Nov 2012