Chicken tagine with preserved lemons and olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 chicken breasts cut into large cubes
- 150g pitted green olives
- 2 preserved lemons, cut into wedges
- pepper to taste
- 50g fresh coriander, chopped
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr50min
- In a casserole, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until soft. Stir in all the spices, diced chicken, green olives and preserved lemon. Season with pepper.
- Add 150ml water and simmer over low heat for 1 hour 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve warm with couscous or fresh bread.
I was sceptical about the minuscule amount of ingredients but my fears were all in vain. The recipe is great but when I make it again I will be reducing the olives by half as I and my guests found them a little on the powerful side. The only change I made was to use vegetable stock instead of water, other than that I followed the recipe to the letter and recommend it. It will certainly become a midweek treat in the future and a special meal when having friends round. - 14 Feb 2013