Prawns with shiitake mushrooms
4 people made this
About this recipe:
All credit for this wonderfully flavoursome curry goes to cousin Atul who took over the reins of my kitchen one evening.
2 tablespoons oil
1 (1cm) piece root ginger, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 teaspoon mixed spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric powder or whatever you have)
250g shiitake mushrooms - quartered or halved depending on size
3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dark brown soft sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
1 (200g) pack raw king prawns
2 tablespoons choppped fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and stir.
- Add chopped red onions, spring onions, and stir over medium heat for a few minutes, then add spices and stir some more.
- Add mushrooms and stir uncovered until they turn soft.
- Add tomatoes, salt, brown sugar, chilli flakes, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Finally add prawns, stir well and cover cooked until prawns are opaque, about 10-12 minutes.
- Uncover and stir for a few more minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped coriander.
The powdered spices can be omitted if you prefer, the mushrooms with ginger and garlic create a unique flavour by themselves. Great accompaniment to basmati rice or naan.
very quick and easy to make, and tasted great.
will use fresh chillies next time, but the dried ones worked fine.
- 14 Sep 2015
Write a review
Click on stars to rate