Gluten free sweet shortcrust pastry
Makes: 1 8-inch pie case or about 24 little tarts
- 225g (8oz) gluten free white plain flour blend
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 112g (4oz) margarine or softened butter
- 56g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water, or as needed
Prep:15min › Cook:20min › Extra time:15min chilling › Ready in:50min
- Sift the flour, salt and xanthan gum into a large bowl. Add in the fat.
- Rub the fat into the flour (I like to use a pastry blender) until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and egg yolk.
- Gradually add as little water as you can to get the pastry to form a dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for about 15 minutes (more on hot days, less very cold ones) before using according to your usual recipe.
Use to make jam tarts, roll out to about 4mm thick, cut out circles and put them in a greased bun tin and add a heaped teaspoon of jam to each and bake for 20 minutes at 190 C / Gas 6.
The xanthan isn't strictly necessary but does make the pastry easier to handle without breaking. The same for the chilling.
so easy to make, i rolled it in cling film - 11 Dec 2012
Thank you for sharing! I love this recipe it is GORGEOUS especially to make Apple Pie :-D Yummy!! - 21 Jul 2013
made sweet mince pies with this recipe,lovely crumbly pastry and so easy to make.will be using this again for all my pastry in future. Made exactly to the recipe,other gluten free pastry's i have made went in the bin as they were so hard couldn't even bite them.thankyou for sharing this recipe - 23 Dec 2012