6 people made this
About this recipe:
I have been making this recipe since my kids were small. They are all grown up now with kids of their own but my husband and I still like this economical recipe.
225g (8 oz) plain flour
110g (4 oz) butter
175g (6 oz) cheese - grate half
1 large egg, beaten
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
175g (6 oz) Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Sift flour and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add half of the grated cheese and mix to a stiff dough with the beaten egg and if needed a little cold water. Divide dough in half.
- Roll out one half on a floured surface to a circle large enough to fit a 9 inch flat plate. Press pastry onto the plate having greased and floured it first.
- Put sliced onion, sliced cheese and tomato in layers onto the pastry on the plate seasoning each layer with salt and pepper.
- Roll out remaining pastry to a circle large enough to cover the plate and its contents.
- Moitsen the edge of the pastry and put the pastry lid onto the pie. Press edges together to seal. Trim and decorate. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on top.
- Place into a large roasting tin and bake on bottom of roasting oven for 15 minutes until golden.
- Transfer to top of simmering oven for 20 minutes.
I use an AGA so some recipes only give AGA cooking instructions but this pie will cook on the same settings for any conventional oven.
This recipe is so easy to make
and it was lovely to eat
there is only 2 of us and it was all eaten
- 12 Jan 2012
This was very good! It goes straight to my favourite box!
- 21 Oct 2010
Write a review
Click on stars to rate