Best ever chilli con carne
- olive oil as needed
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 sachet tomato soup powder
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 100ml chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon Encona® Hot Pepper Sauce
- a few drops Tabasco® sauce
- salt and pepper
- grated Cheddar cheese
- 8 pitta breads, halved (to make to open pockets)
Prep:5min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr5min
- Heat a wok or large pan with some oil. Add the onions and cook until browned. Add the mince and stir to break up any lumps. Cook until well browned. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the paprika, chilli powder, seasoning, cumin, coriander and tomato soup sachet. Stir well. Stir in the tomatoes and kidney beans. Add the chilli sauce, pepper sauce and Tabasco. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a slight boil and then turn right down to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for a minimum of 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Serve in bowls with a bowl of Cheddar on the side. Nice eaten spooning some chilli con carne into the pitta pockets with cheese and the rest eaten from the bowl.
Can easily be adjusted if you do not like it too spicy. Easy to increase quantities to serve a crowd. I have made this for 15 people and re-heated in a slow cooker for people to help themselves.
See it on my blog
tried this recipe, and it is ultra nice, hot weeeeeeeel yes but mucho nico, used it for taco's , and my guests loved it, Thanks - 13 May 2013
I didn't know what chiili sauce to look for in asda I got cholula hot chili garlic sauce all I could find don't think its right though wot one do you use ? - 15 Jan 2014