192 people made this
About this recipe:
Perfect for gifts in Christmas hampers! These no-cook sweets can be served as they are or dipped in melted chocolate.
Makes: 35 sweets
1 egg white
340g (12 oz) icing sugar
a few drops peppermint extract
a few drops food colouring (optional)
Extra time:1day chilling ›
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Whisk the egg white lightly in a bowl until frothy but not stiff.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and stir it into the egg white with a wooden spoon until the mixture is stiff.
- Knead in the peppermint essence. And the food colouring if required.
- Roll the mixture into balls and put on a baking sheet. Use a fork to flatten them. If the fork sticks to them, then dip the fork in icing sugar before pressing down.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Instead of peppermint, you can use orange essence, lemon juice or strawberry essence.
Once set, if you like, you can melt 55g (2oz) chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Dip the peppermint creams in.
I want to make these to give as presents at Christmas, does anyone know how long they keep and how should I store them?
- 26 Nov 2011
I found this recipe quite dry, so decided to add a few drops of water to the mixture which helped.
- 17 Dec 2011
I found pepperiment essence today in Morrisons, in the aisle by the sugar and other baking products. Thanks!
- 28 Nov 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate