Extra time:1day chilling ›
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Whisk the egg white lightly in a bowl until frothy but not stiff.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and stir it into the egg white with a wooden spoon until the mixture is stiff.
- Knead in the peppermint essence. And the food colouring if required.
- Roll the mixture into balls and put on a baking sheet. Use a fork to flatten them. If the fork sticks to them, then dip the fork in icing sugar before pressing down.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Instead of peppermint, you can use orange essence, lemon juice or strawberry essence.
Once set, if you like, you can melt 55g (2oz) chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Dip the peppermint creams in.