Cantuccini (Almond Biscotti)
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 25g butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 175g almonds, coarsely chopped
Prep:50min › Cook:20min › Extra time:30min chilling › Ready in:1hr40min
- Mix the flour with baking powder, then add sugar, vanilla sugar and salt. Form into a mound with a hollow in the middle. Pour the butter and eggs into it and knead to a dough. Knead in the chopped almonds. Form the dough to a ball, adding more flour if necessary. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Cut dough into 6 pieces and shape each into a 25cm log. Arrange logs on a baking tray, leaving enough space for them to spread whilst cooking. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow them to cool a little, then cut into 1cm slices. Lay on a baking tray and bake for another 8-10 minutes at 200 C / Gas 6 until golden-brown.
Very tasty biscuits, simple to make, but stodgier than biscotti normally are. They were more heavy than crisp. Saying that, everyone really likes them! - 24 Jun 2013
family loved it. I now roll them out thicker so they become longer biscotti. - 17 Dec 2012