- 1kg plain flour
- 1 dash lukewarm milk
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- 80g fresh yeast or 25g dried active baking yeast
- 200g caster sugar
- 350ml lukewarm milk
- 200g sultanas
- 250g blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 200g cut mixed peel
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 250g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- To Finish
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- icing sugar for dusting
Prep:25min › Cook:30min › Extra time:2hr proofing › Ready in:2hr55min
- Crumble yeast over the flour in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 pinch sugar and a dash of lukewarm milk. Cover and prove in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Heat together remaining milk and butter in a pan over low heat.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together, except the sultanas. Work into the risen dough. Finally, add the sultanas.
- Cover bowl and prove in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- Remove dough and shape into an rectangular loaf. Transfer to a baking parchment lined baking tray
- Bake in a preheated 180 C / Gas 4 oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Immediately after baking, brush Stollen with melted butter and dust liberally with icing sugar.
This recipe was very vague and to say the least im glad i own an old Kenwood chef... on the third step i had a nice dough and then i had to add the milk, and butter. It became a slop like soup. I knew this wasn't worth my time to i gave it to my Kenwood and with nearly 200g of extra flour it managed to resurrect the dough from soup to tough dough. - i recommend that you revise your recipe! - 02 Dec 2013