Classic Dundee cake
- 145g raisins
- 145g currants
- 80g cut mixed peel
- 50g glace cherries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 5 tablespoons plain flour
- 225g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 210g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 30g ground almonds
- 70g whole almonds
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr50min
- Combine raisins, currants, mixed peel, cherries and orange zest. Dredge with 5 tablespoons flour.
- Cream butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Combine remaining flour, baking powder and ground almonds; fold into butter mixture. Mix in fruit. Spread in foil lined 20cm round cake tin (with 7.5cm depth).
- Bake at 170 C / Gas 3 for about 1 1/2 hours, until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove cake from tin.
- Toast almonds in oven until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Heat syrup and brush over top surface of hot cake. Arrange almonds on top. After cooling, cake will not be sticky.
You forgot to say when to add the sugar! So the butter separated and the mix wouldn't cream. I guess the sugar should have been added to the butter. As beginners in the cake making department we had no idea. Had to look up another Dundee cake recipe to correct your error. Not impressed. Hope it cooks ok. - 23 Dec 2013