1 / 1 Picture by: Tonya
Apple Fruit Cake
- 300g caster sugar
- 200g margarine
- 2 eggs
- 400g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 175g chopped walnuts
- 220g raisins
- 220g dates, pitted and chopped
- 125g glace cherries, coarsely chopped
- 500g apple sauce
- 6 glace cherries, halved
- 6 pecan halves
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr15min › Extra time:4hr cooling › Ready in:5hr35min
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas 2 1/2. Grease a 26cm tube cake tin. Line bottom with baking parchment and grease again.
- In large bowl, cream sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add eggs and blend well.
- Combine 65g flour with nuts, raisins, dates and 125g cherries, stir until coated. Set aside.
- Add remaining flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt to egg mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, then beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold fruit and nut mixture and apple sauce into batter. Pour batter into prepared tin. Arrange cherry halves and pecans on top.
- Bake in prehated oven for 75 to 105 minutes or until skewer inserted in centre comes clean. Cool upright in tin 5 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack and remove tin and baking parchment. Cool completely.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!