Chocolate Cocoa Cake
- 250g plain flour
- 400g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 85g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 140g margarine
- 450ml boiling water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20x30cm tin. Sift together the flour, sugar, bicarb, baking powder, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the margarine in the boiling water, then stir into the flour mixture until blended. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the vanilla.
- Pour cake mixture into prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
A decent cake. Nice chewy, gooey texture, but not very chocolatey. Not very anything, actually. Definitely needs a chocolatey topping! Next time I'd add a bit more sugar and a bit more cocoa powder, I think. It also took almost twice as long to cook as the recipe said (and I'd halved the quantity as well!). All in all, a good starting point, I think. - 06 Jan 2011
This recipe is great, easy to do and the kids loved it - 15 May 2011
Ive tried loads of chocolate cakes and they always taste burnt no matter how low i put the oven at. But this one was moist and chewy best one ive done. Cant wait to gt sum cream one a slice tonight!! I also ad to use golden caster sugar as i dint have normal. - 17 Dec 2013