1 / 1 Picture by: Snowyclouds
Double Chocolate Yule Log
- 85g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 55g cooking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavoured liqueur
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- icing sugar for dusting
- 110g cooking chocolate
- 225g cream cheese, softened
- 375g icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coffee flavoured liqueur
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease a swissroll tin and line with parchment. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs on high for several minutes until they are very pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the 150g sugar, beating 1 to 2 minutes more or until very thick. Gently, but thoroughly, fold in the flour mixture.
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of water with the 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the bicarb, then gradually stir into the melted chocolate until smooth. Quickly, but thoroughly, fold two mixtures.
- Pour cake mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Lightly sift an even layer of icing sugar over a cloth napkin or tea towel. Invert the cake onto the prepared cloth as soon as it comes from the oven. Carefully peel away parchment. Lightly dust top of cake with icing sugar, then trim away crisp edges. Starting with one of the short sides of the cake, immediately roll the cake up in the cloth, swiss roll style, and cool thoroughly on a rack.
- For the icing: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the 110g chocolate. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with the icing sugar until smooth, then blend in the vanilla extract and coffee liqueur. Blend in the melted chocolate. Unroll the cake and spread about 1/3 of the filling evenly over the surface. Roll the cake back up.
- Arrange swiss roll on serving tray, then frost generously, swiping with an palette knife to form the long 'bark line' design. Swipe ends of cake in a circular motion to simulate the tree-rings of a cut log. Decorate log as desired with leaves, berries, meringue mushrooms and icing sugar for snow.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!