Coconut sponge cake
Makes: 1 26cm tube cake
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g cream cheese, softened
- 600g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut essence
- 375g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 150g desiccated coconut
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr20min › Ready in:1hr35min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Grease and flour a 26cm tube cake tin.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Blend in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the coconut essence. Mix in flour and baking powder until just moistened, then stir in coconut. Spoon batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
This cake recipe also does well baked in layers. It will make three 20cm layers. Reduce baking time if making as a layer cake, but keep the temperature the same. Test for doneness as indicated in recipe.
Excellent recipe, very easy to make. Cake tasted amazing, I couldn't find coconut essence in my local supermarket so I used vanilla essence instead. Friends and family loved it, tastes great with custard too. Remember to alter cooking times depending on the depth of the cake. - 04 Dec 2010
absolutely delish..my son loves it - 09 Mar 2012
This cake is huge!!!! I had mixture left over or just didn't have a cake tin big enough lol. Smells lovely but the proof will be tomorrow as I did it for my mom!!!! Easy to make though and I did leave it in a little longer than stated - 11 Apr 2012