Ultimate sponge cake
- 210g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 180ml beaten egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 300g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, strained
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 180ml boiling water
Prep:25min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:1hr cooling › Ready in:2hr25min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- Sift together twice: flour, baking powder and salt. Pour back into sieve.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and whole egg with an electric mixer until thick and lemon coloured (about 5 minutes). Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Fold orange zest, orange juice and lemon extract into the egg mixture. Sift in dry ingredients and fold gently. Do not stir or beat. Add boiling water from the kettle and fold in quickly, just until liquid is blended. Pour cake mixture into an ungreased 25cm tube cake tin.
- Bake at 170 C / Gas 3 for 60 to 65 minutes. Turn cake over in tin on a wire rack and let cake hang for 1 hour or until cool. Loosen cake sides from tin with a spatula and shake loose. Dust top lightly with icine sugar or ice with Orange Buttercream Icing.
Instead of the 25cm tube tin, you can use three 23cm round cake tins or two 23x12cm loaf tins. Adjust baking time as needed.
Baked this cake yesterday, didn't think it would be very nice, especially being made with so much water, but it was lovely. Very light, a bit like the trifle sponges that you can buy in the shops. I used almond extract instead of orange juice, and also omitted the orange zest. In case you're interested, it took 9 egg yolks to make up the 180ml of yolks, so also had to make an angel cake to use up the egg whites!! - 07 Jan 2012
This sponge cake was simply fantastic - simple to make and absolutely delicious. The orange taste gave it a kick without being overwhelming, and you needn't add anything else if you do not want as it is still great. It is also moist and bouncy for days afterwards as well. I cannot recommend it highly enough. - 17 Sep 2011
This cake is excellent. Unusual in texture and a very delicate flavour. I would defo make it again. It makes a good size cake so great for a croud. It went down a treat with my family and my hubby ate half of it in one day! The only negative was that it stuck to the tin so I will be greasing the tin next time. Also, it only took 40 mins to bake in my fan oven. All in all - 21 Jan 2012