Moist puréed carrot cake
- 250g sifted plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 400g caster sugar
- 355ml vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 250g carrots, chopped
- 225g tinned crushed pineapple, drained
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 35g desiccated coconut
Prep:20min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr
- Place carrots in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover and bring to the boil. Simmer until carrots are soft (about 5 to 7 minutes), then drain and purée carrots in a blender; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour one 20x30cm tin.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and ground cinnamon. Stir in the caster sugar, then add the oil and eggs and mix well. Stir in carrot purée, pineapple, chopped nuts and coconut. Pour mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Amazing cake and absolutely huge! It feels very extravagant when baking due to the large quantities and range of ingredients but it is also so easy to make. I layered and topped the cake with a cream cheese frosting using lemon zest which was a great contrast to the sweet, juicy cake. This is now my new celebration cake which I will make time and again. - 28 Aug 2013