Birthday Sponge Cake
Makes: 1 20x30cm cake
- 225g butter
- 400g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 375g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 1 pinch salt
Prep:25min › Cook:25min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour one 20x30cm tin or three 20cm or 23cm round cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Separate the eggs and set the egg whites aside. Add the egg yolks one at a time to the creamed mixture, beating after each one.
- Measure the baking powder into the flour, sieve a little of the flour into the creamed mixture. Continue adding the flour and the milk alternately, while continually beating the mixture. Beat the cake batter until a few air bubbles show.
- Beat the 4 egg whites with a dash of salt until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into the batter. Pour batter into prepared tin(s).
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 until cake(s) test done, approximately 25 to 35 minutes.
Im looking for a receipe for my daughters birthday cake that can hold well with fondant icing and that i can 2 tier, i saw your cake and thought it looked impressive so i just made it, unfortunatly it didnt work for me at all and i followed the method and ingredients word by word. I made it in a 20x30 tin and it barely cooked the top after over an hour later. So unfortunatly had to bin the lot. - 03 Mar 2011
Wonderful recipe! Although I used self-raising flour instead of plain - 15 Feb 2012
Hi, On the actual cake, is it frosting under the sugarpaste brown stripes? - 17 Nov 2011