- 200g (8 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 75g (3 oz) butter
- 75g (3 oz) sugar
- 50g (2 oz) desiccated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep:20min › Cook:40min › Extra time:40min › Ready in:1hr40min
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together into a bowl. Rub in the butter until mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add sugar, coconut and lime zest.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and add 100ml of the milk and vanilla.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Add liquid and mix well to form a stiff consistency, adding the additional milk if necessary.
- Place in a greased 15cm (6 inch) cake tin and bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
I want to make this cake today but do i use plain or self raising flour. - 22 Aug 2011
what type of flour?self raising or plain? - 16 Feb 2011
Hi . I have a realy good tip to stop this cake from coming out dry and i have made this cake loads and loads of times and i add a little coconut milk and a little cream and my cake always comes out very most and i my other half loves me making this cake as it's one of his favourate , so i hope the tip helps out and please let me know how you get on with adding the coconut milk and cream I also add glace' cherrys and before i add them to my cake mixture i coat them in a little plain flour as that stops the cherrys from sinking in the cake while it's baking and it does work !, cake loving girl i don't use lime zest or any other zest in mine but i put the vanila extract in but you can leave both out , hope that helps you ! - 21 Sep 2012