Original Swedish meatballs
- 15g dry breadcrumbs
- 200 to 300ml cream, milk or water
- 2 cooked cold potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 500g mince (2 thirds beef, 1 third pork)
- salt and ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr
- Soak the bread crumbs in the liquid of choice.
- Mash the potatoes with a fork in with the breadcrumbs and liquid. Then add the egg.
- Peel and chop the onion very finely and then mix this with the mince and the potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the margarine or butter in a frying pan on high, but not highest heat. Then fry the meatballs on a medium even heat until they are cooked through. If all meatballs are the same size you should only need to test one in the first batch to see if it is cooked through.
I usually use 2 teaspoons salt and a fair pinch of white pepper.
Your recipe sounds just like the one I have only difference I also use 1 tablespoon of allspice! - 13 Feb 2013