1 / 1 Picture by:
- 1 1/2 pints (850ml) water
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- 8 oz (225g) red lentils
- 2 potatoes - peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper - de-seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or your choice of curry powder to taste)
- 1 clove of garlic - crushed
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or can of chopped tomatoes)
- rice to serve
Prep:10min › Cook:25min › Ready in:35min
- Get your rice on - unless you are using the microwave packet rice.
- In a saucepan containing 1 1/2 pints (850ml) of water, add one teaspoon of ginger, cumin, tumeric and salt, then bring to the boil.
- Stir in the lentils, let it come back to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes. TIP: you may want to keep stirring the mixture now and again, to avoid the lentils sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Add diced potato and continue to cook until the lentils have turned mushy - again worth stirring every so often.
- Whilst this cooks, heat up the butter in another pan and fry the onion and pepper (over fairly high heat) until the onion has browned - then lower the heat and stir in the garam masala (or your choice of curry powder), the garlic, the remaining ground ginger and the chopped tomatoes. Cook for a minute before adding the lentil mixture, then taste, season and cook gently for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with rice and yoghurt (a nice low fat thick yoghurt is especially good).
I think this goes really nice with brown rice.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!