- 340g (12oz) mixed fruit
- 120g (4 1/4oz) margarine
- 170g (6oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 225g (8oz) canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 120g (4 1/4oz) glace cherries, halved
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Put the mixed fruit in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to soak for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain well.
- Put the margarine and sugar into a pan and heat gently until it is melted. Then add the dried fruit and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer into a mixing bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and stir well. Add the eggs and mix them until they are thoroughly blended together.
- Add the pineapple and cherries to the cake mixture and stir well. Transfer to a greased and lined loaf or cake tin and level the surface.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven until a fine skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before serving.
You can substitute the margarine for butter if you like.
Very easy to prepare. Used some mixed tropical fruit to supplement the cherries. Beautifully moist and tasty - 19 Apr 2012
i love this recipie! it's really easy and it's something that the whole family can eat! - 12 Feb 2011
all my family love this cake - 23 Dec 2011