Irish Barm Brack
- 275g raisins
- 100g sultanas
- 60g mixed peel
- 300ml warm, black strong tea
- 1 or 2 teaspoons treacle (optional)
- 200g dark brown demerara sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 egg
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr30min › Extra time:8hr soaking › Ready in:9hr40min
- Mix the dried fruit, mixed peel, warm tea and treacle in a bowl. Cover and set aside overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/ gas mark 4. Grease and line a 900g (2 lb) loaf tin or a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin.
- Add the brown sugar, self-raising flour, mixed spice and egg to the dried fruit-tea mixture; stir well until mixed.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until it feels firm to touch. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- Be patient, if you can and store in an airtight container for a day or two. It really does taste better this way.
I didn't have treacle so left it out and it still tasted great - just not as dark in colour. It really does taste even better each day I try it. Easy recipe, thanks! - 14 Mar 2011
Love the recipe!!! I think I may have left mine to soak in too much tea and not long enough in the oven. I know you may dis approve but it is great with some hot custard! Thanks for sharing!! - 26 Aug 2013
I prepare afternoon teas from British and Irish recipes and this is one of the very best!!! Thank you for being here! - 22 Feb 2014