1 person made this
About this recipe:
There are like regular gingerbread but with the taste of banana. They are lots of fun for kids to decorate.
Makes: 35 cookies
2 small ripe bananas
450g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
115g butter, softened
100g dark brown soft sugar
assorted small sweets to decorate
Extra time:1hr chilling ›
- Puree the bananas in the blender.
- Combine flour, ginger, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in treacle and bananas until well blended.
- Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon until completely blended. Dough will be stiff. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Grease 2 baking trays.
- Divide dough into 4 parts. Roll out each part to 3mm thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut out cookies using small gingerbread people cookie cutters or any other cutters of your choice. Repeat with all dough until all is gone. Place cookies on the prepared baking trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown on edges, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Divide icing into small bowls (as many colours as you want).
- Add a few drops of food colouring into all but one bowl; mix completely.
- Scoop the coloured and white icing into small resealable plastic bags and close tightly; cut a small opening in the corner of the bag.
- If the cookies are completely cool, pipe the icing onto the cookies, and then decorate.
Make it healthier
Instead of sweets and sprinkles you can use raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, or other fresh (or dried) fruits to decorate.
Perfect gingerbread biscuits
Check out our guide to Perfect gingerbread biscuits for tried-and-tested tips to make gingerbread biscuit baking fun and easy!
Watch our How to make gingerbread men video to see how to make perfect gingerbread biscuits every time!
Write a review
Click on stars to rate