Plain Madeira cake
- 110g (4 oz) butter or margarine
- 110g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 175g (6 oz) self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in syrup and eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and fold into mixture. Add in vanilla.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 C / Gas 4, until risen and golden brown.
Tried this twice now and both times it sunk in the middle, any idea where I'm going wrong ?? - 27 Mar 2013
Lovely flavour. However, I made this as per the receipe and then made the next one with the 'all in one' method. This is how I make most of my cakes. It was much better and certainly quicker. It will be my standby cake. - 18 Jul 2011
Made this cake today but cooked it for 45mins instead of the 30mins came out perfect - 01 Sep 2013