Homemade baked egg custard
- For the tart
- 225g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 300g plain flour
- For the egg custard filling
- 4 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or pod
- 500ml milk
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Extra time:2hr cooling › Ready in:3hr
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Lightly grease the bottom of the cake tin with butter.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, the 150g sugar and 1 egg until smooth. Blend in the flour to form a dough. You may have to knead by hand at the end.
- Roll the pastry out and place into tin. Pastry may be a little too short, so may need to press it into the tin by hand. Cover the bottom and sides of the tin.
- For the egg custard filling: in a bowl, mix together the 4 eggs and 100g sugar and add vanilla pod or extract. Gradually stir in the cold milk to fully incorporate. Pour mixture over the pastry base. Sprinkle over the nutmeg.
- Place in the oven until a sharp knife inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Once egg custard is set bring out from the oven and cool. Enjoy!
Tastes best chilled.
So good I've gained 2lb - 10 Nov 2011
The biscuity base was a bit of a challenge to roll and put in the tin, but by golly it was worth the mess! Absolutely delicious. - 13 May 2012
Lovely tastes just like you buy from the shop. The only problem i had was what size of tin to use, in the end i had to make extra pastry and make 2, no good for the weight lol. - 18 Apr 2013