Bacon roast guinea fowl with roast potatoes
- 1 whole guinea fowl
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 400g baby new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, or to taste
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Wrap the guinea fowl with the streaky bacon rashers, trying to cover as much of the guinea fowl as possible. Place the wrapped guinea fowl in a suitable baking dish, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the onion over the guinea fowl. Push potatoes down into the spaces between the guinea fowl and around the edge of the dish.
- Sprinkle the poultry seasoning to taste over the guinea fowl and potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, until the bacon is crisp and brown and the potatoes are tender. The guinea fowl juices should run clear at the thickest part of the thigh. If the bacon isn't crispy enough, put it under the grill for a few minutes. Enjoy straightaway!
Did this for Sunday lunch today - very nice, but I had to put it back in after taking the bacon off, because although the juices were running clear, the middle part of the breast meat wasn't fully cooked. I'd allow 1.5 hours cooking time in future. - 10 Feb 2013