Bangladeshi Beef Curry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 green chillies, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste or grated root ginger
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 250ml water
- 900g beef stewing steak, cubed
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr45min › Ready in:2hr15min
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Stir in the garlic, green chillies, ginger paste, cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Cook and stir for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until the garlic begins to brown.
- Stir the cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic granules, cayenne pepper and water into the onions. Simmer until most of the water has evaporated and the mixture has thickened.
- Stir in the beef stewing steak and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
This is an excellent recipe. I used garlic paste in a jar rather than powder and as I like a bit more flavour, I added around half a teaspoon more of the spices. I would say that the end result is 4 large portions. - 30 Dec 2013