- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- In a food processor or using your hands rub together the flour, oats and butter or margarine until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add grated carrot to the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Add enough water to bring the mixture together into a soft dough - about 1 tablespoon.
- Grease and line your tart case with the pastry. Add your filling of choice
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or according to filling instructions.
Wheat free pastry is really hard to roll out so I just push it into a greased tart tin with my hands. Much easier!
Use a metal tart tin - it cooks much better than a ceramic or glass dish.
When you add your filling, add in 1 tablespoon of plain flour to your egg/milk mixture to absorb any excess liquid from your filling and keep your pastry from going soggy.
For a dairy free recipe use vegan margarine instead of butter.
For gluten free pastry omit the oats and use 225g wheat free flour instead.