Sausage and tomato casserole
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 28g (1oz) plain flour or cornflour
- 800g (1 3/4lb) tomatoes
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 680g (1 1/2lb) pork sausages
- 2 tablespoons brown breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr10min › Ready in:1hr20min
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Fry the onions slowly until golden. Blend in the flour.
- Add tomatoes and peppers and stir until boiling. Season with salt and pepper, add Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf.
- Meanwhile parboil the sausages for 10 minutes; remove skins. Cut into thick diagonal slices.
- Remove bay leaf from the sauce and add sausages. Tip mixture into a pie dish. Sprinkle top with the brown breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
I often leave out the breadcrumb and cheese topping and just put everything into the casserole and cook slowly in a low oven. It's the sort of dish you can leave to cook slowly for hours.
Put everything into the casserole except the topping and cook on a very slow oven all day if necessary.
HEALTH ISSUE - Many people have IBS and don't know what causes it. I have found that red and green peppers cause mine with dire results. I have also read in a cookery book in Spain that if the skins are removed from peppers they are not so troublesome. As yet, I have not had the courage to try this but would be pleased to hear from others with the same allergy.
Quick, easy and filling, love it! - 15 Jul 2013
we've just finished another one. It is very moreish and the ASDA gluten free flour makes it very light. - 13 Jul 2011