Authentic takeaway style chow mein
- 2 chicken breast fillets, sliced (or meat of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 packet Sharwoods® medium dried egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bag beansprouts
- 3 spring onions, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
Prep:10min › Cook:15min › Ready in:25min
- Marinate meat for no less than 4 hours in 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce and cornflour; refrigerate.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook noodles according to packet instructions. Run under cold water to prevent sticking.
- Heat oil in wok until very hot and fry meat until cooked. Remove meat from wok. Add garlic and onion to hot wok and cook until softened slightly, then add beansprouts, spring onions, cooked noodles and the meat.
- Stir and add the remaining dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir thoroughly and serve. A proper chow mein!
For a saucy chow mein mix the dark, light and oyster sauce in a bowl with cornflour and enough water to make a rich gravy before stirring through the noodles. Serve with prawn crackers!
looked,smelt and tasted as good as any takeaway chow mein and very simple to make....top stuff - 29 Jan 2012
I moved to Australia and have been missing my take out chicken chow mein as they don't do it here. Not any more! A Chinese recipe on an English website, added by a Scot and served in Oz! Very easy and great results everytime. - 14 Oct 2012
I didn't have beansprouts so added mushrooms instead. Fantastic recipe, so easy and tastes so good. thank you - 18 Jan 2013