1 person made this
About this recipe:
My variation of this classic Austrian cake! You can if you choose pipe the traditional 'SACHER' across the top in icing.
200g 60% dark chocolate
6 medium eggs
310g caster sugar
150g ground almonds
1 teaspoon instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water (optional)
6 tablespoons apricot jam
For the icing
100g 60% dark chocolate
40g unsalted butter
Extra time:2hr cooling ›
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm springform tin.
- Melt the 200g chocolate in a heatproof bowl over gently simmering water.
- Separate 5 of the eggs. Whisk the 5 yolks and 1 whole egg with the sugar till thick and creamy.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Add the almonds, melted chocolate, and coffee (if you're using it) to the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the egg whites gradually. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake until a skewer comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cover with foil for the last 20 minutes to prevent burning. Release from springform tin and allow to cool.
- Warm and strain the apricot jam and brush over the cake.
- Melt together the 100g chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over gently simmering water. Stir till it has the consistency of thick pouring cream.
- Pour icing evenly over the cooled cake. Smooth over the top and sides of the cake with a spatula or back of a spoon. Allow to set.
Love this cake, I've made it so many times now i forgot to point out to be careful when your cooking it not to over cook it!!!
- 18 Aug 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate