Vegetarian nut loaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 100g mushrooms, brushed clean and diced (any kind)
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 red or green pepper, diced
- 5 organic eggs, beaten
- 80g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 40g pine nuts
- 180g breadcrumbs
- Pinch sea salt and black pepper
- Pumpkin seeds, for the top
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr20min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / gas 4 and line a 2 lb loaf tin (23 x 13 x 7cm) with non-stick baking paper.
- Gently fry the diced onion, mushrooms, celery, carrots and pepper in butter until softened.
- Add the beaten eggs, chopped walnuts, pine nuts and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared tin, pressing down into the corners and smoothing out the top. Scatter over some pumpkin seeds, if you like. Place in oven and roast for 1 hour, checking and covering the top after 30 minutes if it's starting to brown too much.
- Leave to set for about 10 minutes before after taking it out of the tin and slicing.
Worcester sauce and smoked paprika added more flavour. Much enjoyed - even by meat eaters. - 11 Sep 2013
Very disappointed, almost completely tasteless, will definitely make it again as texture and consistency was great, the base flavours with the veg used are there but I found a pinch if salt some pepper and even adding lee&perrins was not enough - looked fantastic! (See pictures!) - 03 Nov 2013