1 / 1 Picture by: Angela
- 450g carrots
- 300g caster sugar
- 200g peeled oranges, pureed
- 160ml sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 dessertspoon vanilla extract
- 150g sultanas
- 1 dessertspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 375g plain flour
Prep:40min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr25min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour 2 (23cm) round cake tins.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, bicarb, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine the sultanas and orange zest. Set aside.
- Grate carrots and puree the oranges in a blender or food processor.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, oranges with all the juice, oil and apple sauce. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and carrots.
- Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined. Add sultanas and orange zest, and gently combine.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the two cake tins. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in tin on wire rack. Invert bottom cake onto serving plate. Ice with your favourite cream cheese icing, then top with second cake and ice the top.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!