1 / 1
Rachel Warren Chadd
5 people made this
About this recipe:
This cold soup uses lots of tomatoes, which helps to protect the cardiovascular system. It needs at least one hour chilling time for best results.
85g (3oz) French bread
1 large red or green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
225g (8oz) plum tomatoes, cored and quartered
15g (1/2oz) fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
725ml (11/4 pints) tomato juice
good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the crusts from the bread and tear the bread into pieces. Place in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain some of the water from the bowl, then, with your hands, squeeze out most of the remaining water from the bread. Reserve the soaked bread.
- Place the red or green pepper, red onion and cucumber in a food processor and process until very finely chopped. Pour the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and basil to the food processor and process until very finely chopped but not totally puréed. Add to the pepper mixture in the bowl.
- Add the garlic, oil, wine vinegar, soaked bread and tomato juice to the food processor and process until blended. Stir into the vegetable mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Add the black pepper. Cover the bowl and chill the soup for at least 1 hour before serving.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate