- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Prepare the chicken by trimming the fillets and cutting longways in half, then sideways in half again (i.e. 4 pieces per fillet).
- Make the 3 slices of bread into breadcrumbs (I use a coffee grinder on frozen bread and it's great). Put the crumbs in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Mix the flour, semolina and Cajun spice together. Obviously, the more spice you add, the spicier the coating. Put the mixture in another wide, shallow bowl.
- Beat the eggs and put them in a third wide, shallow bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the milk, flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, then lay on a sheet of baking parchment. (This recipe can be prepared ahead up to this point then refrigerated overnight.)
- Heat a frying pan to a high temperature. If it is not hot enough the oil will just soak into the breadcrumbs making them soggy and greasy. Add the oil to the pan when it's hot.
- Cook the chicken in the pan until the breadcrumbs are golden - THIS TAKES VERY LITTLE TIME! Be prepared to flip the pieces with tongs quickly after putting them in the pan. Once browned on all sides, pop them in an ovenproof dish in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. It is practically impossible to overcook these in the oven as the breadcrumb traps all the moisture into the chicken. So if your party guests are late, don't worry, they will last for quite a while at a lower temperature.
Great served with salsa, BBQ sauce, garlic mayo, sweet chilli sauce, etc. Also great in a wrap with rocket, onion, tomato, sweet chilli and mayo mmmm.