Chinese takeaway curry sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot curry powder
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 225ml hot chicken stock
- 225ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon treacle (optional)
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of double cream
Prep:5min › Cook:30min › Ready in:35min
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the sliced onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Sprinkle over the curry powder and the flour; cook for another minute or so until well mixed in.
- Pour in the hot chicken stock, milk and 1/2 teaspoon treacle. Simmer gently over low heat for 10 or 15 minutes, stirring often until it has thickened a bit.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cream. Taste and season with salt.
- Serve over cooked chicken or chips.
was absolutely delicious....i cooked it without the treacle.... it waas so easy to make definatle gonna cook it again - 14 Feb 2012
we all loved it and we did use the treacle but you couldn't taste it - 16 Apr 2012
This was an amazing substitute for a takeaway chinese curry...... until the cream went in. I left the onions chunky, added finely sliced chilli (I love it spicy!), and squirted in a little honey instead of the treacle, but everything else I kept the same. I will make again but definitely without the addition of cream (although it was horrible with it, just not at all a takeaway curry) - 15 Aug 2013