- Bring the stock to a simmer then slowly add the polenta, whisking as you do so. Keep at a very low heat, and cook for around 3 to 5 minutes, until you have a smooth polenta mixture (add more water if it starts to become dry).
- Turn off the heat and mix in the xanthan gum, flour and vegan 'Parmesan'.
- If you have pizza tins, spread the mixture into the oiled tins to desired thickness. I don’t have a pizza tin, so I put a sheet of baking parchment over a dinner plate and used that. The polenta will probably be sticky and stubborn, so persevere and try to spread it evenly.
- Bake in a fairly hot oven (200 C / Gas 6 or thereabouts) for 15 minutes. Once done, the polenta will feel springy and spongy
- Remove from the oven, and either allow to cool, and refrigerate until you need it, or put on your toppings and pop them straight back in the oven!
I topped mine with homemade BBQ sauce (recipe on my blog), lactofree cheese, salami and spinach. Served with crispy potato wedges and a homemade garlic and herb dip!
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.
See it on my blog
This & more GF recipies at IntoleranceIsBliss!