1 / 4
8 people made this
About this recipe:
Bake every colour of the rainbow into this delightful cake. Perfect for a birthday cake or kid's party!
370g plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
200g unsalted butter, softened
180g caster sugar
5 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
food colouring in 6 rainbow colours
600ml whipping cream
5 tablespoons icing sugar
450g mascarpone cheese
Extra time:2hr chilling ›
- First, make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6 and grease and flour 6 23cm round cake tins.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarb.
- In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar, milk, egg whites and vanilla extract until smooth. Stir in dry ingredients, mix well.
- Divide the mixture into six bowls. Mix in different food colouring to each bowl. Start with just a little bit of colouring, then mix; you can always add more!
- Bake each for 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the cream until stiff. Fold in icing sugar and mascarpone cheese, stir until smooth.
- Spread icing on each layer of cooled cake, placing one on top of the other. Cover the top and sides with the remaining icing. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate