- Cut the meat from the bone and divide into 2-inch squares.
- Heat the oil in a sautee pan, or deep flameproof casserole, drop in the butter and, when foaming, brown the meat a few pieces at a time.
- Remove the meat, add the onions & garlic & cook slowly for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time;
- dust in the flour and spices and continue cooking for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and half a pint of the stock, away from the heat, and blend until mixture is smooth.
- Return to the stove and stir mixture until boiling;reduce theheat and add the meat. Cover and cook at 350F, Gas mark 4
- Stir occasionally adding the rest of the stock if necessary.
- Reduce the gravy to a thick sauce if necessary and spoon over.
AGA TIP - I bring it to the boil, and then transfer to the simmering oven and leave it there for as long as I can.
Serve with Pilaf rice or my Nutty, Spicey Rice Salad.
You can do this dish with lamb chops, stewing lamb or even mutton. I am using mutton today so it may need a little longer to cook. Just adjust the cooking time according to the cut of meat you are using.