- 6 large potatoes (tatties!)
- 300ml (10 fl oz) milk
- 2 small or 1 large onion
- 50g (2 oz) tablespoons of butter
- 1 (200g) tin corned beef
Prep:10min › Cook:15min › Ready in:25min
- Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes. Place in a medium-sized pot and cover with milk. Heat until boiling then bring to a simmer.
- While potatoes are simmering...chop onion roughly and fry in butter until brown and crispy.
- Slice corned beef into medium chunks.
- Set aside until milk and potatoes cook down into a kind of starchy soup, but with soft lumps of potato in.
- Mix in onion and corned beef, allowing all flavours to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with oatcakes.
Something else. Instead of boiling the poatoes in butter, I boil them in water with 1-2 oxo cubes, I also add the cornbeef to the onions once they are cooked, and heat through. It makes it easier to mix in with the potatoes. - 16 Feb 2010
I used some left over potatos, cubed and instead of milk about 1/4 cup red wine, 1/4 C of broth and 1 T. dijon mustard. Kicked it up a bit for the adult crowd. - 13 Apr 2012
Great recipe try this, serve with cumberland sausage,fried egg and peas. - 21 Jan 2012