- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 340g (12 oz) diced braising steak
- 340g (12 oz) diced lamb
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1.5kg (3 lb) potatoes, peeled
- 3-4 cups beef stock
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Prep:20min › Cook:2hr30min › Ready in:2hr50min
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C / gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Season the meats with salt and pepper; brown on all sides. Transfer to a large, deep casserole pot.
- Cut 3/4 of the potatoes into thin slices; set on top of the meat. Pour in the stock. Cover and cook in the oven 90 minutes.
- Cut the rest of the potatoes into small cubes. After 90 minutes, give the scouse a stir to break up the sliced potatoes (this will help thicken it).
- Mix in the uncooked potatoes, onions, carrots and Worcestershire sauce; cover and cook 60-90 minutes more, or until the meat is very tender.
- Adjust the seasonings and serve.
First time I've cooked spouse and my Scouse partner loved it, as did I. Thanks. - 18 Sep 2010
Made it vegetarian. Make blind scouse by leaving the meat out and more of the carrot and onion and also adding some chopped up swede and cabbage, savoy or white is fine. Put it all in at the start. You will only need to cook for 1hr stirring occasionally Then serve with red cabbage, beetroot and hunks of bread. Both types of scouse are real winter comfort food! - 10 Sep 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. Nice served with red cabbage or beet root on the side. - 19 Jan 2010