Sausage and chestnut stuffing
- 100 g (3½ oz) premium high-meat-content pork sausages
- 100 g (3½ oz) cooked or vacuum-packed chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 75 g (2½ oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1½ tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
Prep:10min › Cook:40min › Ready in:50min
- Remove the sausage meat from the skins and put into a bowl. Add the chopped chestnuts and shallots and mix into the sausage meat. Add the breadcrumbs, sage, egg and some seasoning and mix thoroughly.
- Stuff into the neck end of a chicken or turkey, shaping any leftover stuffing into walnut-sized balls to cook separately. If you have made stuffing balls, arrange them on a lightly oiled baking tray and put into the oven for the last 30 minutes of the bird's cooking time.
- Alternatively, put all of the stuffing into a lightly greased ovenproof dish, about 17.5 cm (7 in) in diameter, spreading it out evenly and packing it down. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6) for 40 minutes.
Some more ideas
Substitute canned unsweetened chestnut purée for the chopped chestnuts. * Use wholemeal breadcrumbs to boost the fibre content.
Didn't think the sage and onion stuffing recipe my family have loved for the last 30 years could be eclipsed.... It has ! This will be a firm favourite from now on ! Quick tip if using fresh chestnuts, boil for 5mins, take out of water one at a time to prepare, place flat side down on chopping board, cut in half and squeeze out cooked chestnut. ( use a teaspoon handle to extract final bits ), then process to a fine consistency. - 26 Dec 2013